Verdure Al Forno
June 28, 2010 § Leave a comment
Monday means Giada recipe night! For the past couple of weeks my mom has been making a new Giada recipe from the Everyday Italian cookbook I got her. Tonight’s recipe is verdure al forno or “vegetables in the oven.” You can pretty much substitute any veggie you like into this recipe. We used zucchini!
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 medium zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds total), cut crosswise into 1 inch thick slices
- 1 cup heavy cream (not the best nutritionally speaking, but the whole casserole serves 4+)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- About 1/4 c. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 cup. plain dried bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350.
In an 8-inch baking dish:
- Spread the olive oil around the baking dish
- Layer the bottom of the dish with a zucchini layer
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top
- Pour a little of the heavy cream, mozz and fontina over the 1st layer of zucc
- Sprinkle Pecorino Romano on top of that layer
- Repeat layering two more times
Place the baking dish on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake uncovered until golden brown on top and the sauce is bubbling – approx. 40 minutes.
My dad made garlic bread to go on the side
Delicious! I think adding elbow pasta would make it even better..kind of like a zucchini mac and cheese! Next time.
Troy came over for dinner tonight. He deserves it for a job well done today. I was quite spoiled having him around at work 🙂
Troy with his flourless peanut butter cookies in hand.
Tonight I’m heading to Troy’s for some quality TV watching 🙂 See you in the morning!